Hello Newbies, Techies and all other Enthusiasts reading this!
It is said “Date a hacker, he will only break security and never break a heart”. Although I can't vouch for the heart,its certainly true that hacking is slowly becoming a sport that is larger than life. As you can probably tell by the heading on this article, We are here to get a deeper insight into the HacktoberFest event. Well, but before one can run, one needs to learn to run, so to understand what hacktoberfest is and what it stands for it is very important to get the basics first. So……..
What is Open Source?
As a term, Open source is denoting software for which the original source code is made freely available and may be redistributed and modified.
What is Github?
GitHub, Inc. is an American multinational corporation that provides hosting for software development and version control using Git. It offers the distributed version control and source code management functionality of Git, plus its own features.
What is Hacktoberfest?
Hacktoberfest is a month-long celebration of open source software run by DigitalOcean (American Cloud Company) in partnership with GitHub, Intel and DEV and is open to everyone in the global community.
The main aim of this event is to make students contribute more to open source software.Whether you’re a developer, student learning to code, event host, or a company of any size, you can help drive the growth of open source and make positive contributions to an ever-growing community. All backgrounds and skill levels are encouraged to complete the challenge.
- Hacktoberfest is a celebration open to everyone in our global community.
- Pull requests can be made in participating GitHub-hosted repositories/projects, classified with the Hacktoberfest topic.
- You can sign up anytime between October 1 and October 31.
- To earn your Hacktoberfest tee or tree reward, you must register and make four valid pull requests (PRs) between October 1-31.
- PRs can be made to participating public repos on GitHub, those that have the Hacktoberfest topic.
- If a maintainer reports your pull request as spam or behaviour, not in line with the project’s code of conduct, you will be ineligible to participate.
- This year, the first 70,000 participants who successfully complete the challenge will be eligible to receive a prize.
“Hacktoberfest has been a pleasant experience, it taught me how I as an open source enthusiast can contribute to the growth and development of the open source movement” - Sanjith PK
“Hacktoberfest is a great platform to explore and get a deeper understanding of the world of open source. I loved the tee I received and also enjoyed the process” - Srikeerthi S